With the 31st Summer Olympics coming to an end in Rio de Jeneiro, I’d like to thank all 314 Canadian athletes who participated.
In total, Team Canada finished in 10th place overall with 22 medals (4 Gold, 3 Silver, and 15 Bronze.)
Team Canada participated in 27 of the 28 sports that composed these Olympic games (Canada did not compete in Handball.)
The following individuals/teams won medals for Canada at the games:
- Penny Oleksiak (100m freestyle)
- Rosie MacLennan (Women’s Trampoline)
- Derek Drouin (Men’s High Jump)
- Erica Wiebe (Women’s freestyle 75kg)
- Penny Oleksiak (Women’s 100m butterfly)
- Lindsay Jennerich and Patricia Obee (Women’s lightweight double sculls)
- Andre De Grasse (Men’s 200m)
- Women’s 4 × 100 m freestyle relay team (Sandrine Mainville,Penny Oleksiak,Chantal van Landeghem, Michelle Williams, Taylor Ruck)
- Rugby Sevens Team (Brittany Benn, Hannah Darling, Bianca Farella, Jen Kish, Ghislaine Landry, Megan Lukan, Kayla Moleschi, Karen Paquin, Kelly Russell, Ashley Steacy, Natasha Watcham-Roy, and Charity Williams.)
- Kylie Masse (Women’s 100m backstroke)
- Meaghan Benfeito and Roseline Filion (Women’s synchronized 10 m platform)
- Women’s 4x200m freestyle relay team (Katerine Savard, Penny Oleksiak, Emily Overholt, Brittany MacLean, Taylor Ruck, and Kennedy Goss)
- Hilary Caldwell (Women’s 200m backstroke)
- Women’s Team Pursuit, cycling (Allison Beveridge, Laura Brown, Jasmin Glaesser, Kirsti Lay, and Georgia Simmerling)
- Brianne Theisen-Eaton (Women’s heptathlon)
- Andre De Grasse (Men’s 100m)
- Meaghan Benfeito (Women’s 10m platform)
- Damian Warner (Men’s Decathlon)
- Women’s National Soccer Team (Stephanie Labbé, Allysha Chapman, Kadeisha Buchanan, Shelina Zadorsky, Rebecca Quinn, Deanne Rose, Rhian Wilkinson, Diana Matheson, Josée Bélanger, Ashley Lawrence, Desiree Scott, Christine Sinclair, Sophie Schmidt, Melissa Tancredi, Nichelle Prince, Janine Beckie, Jessie Fleming, and Sabrina D’Angelo)
- Eric Lamaze (Individual Equestrian jumping)
- Men’s 4x100m Relay Team (Aaron Brown, Andre De Grasse, Akeem Haynes, Brendon Rodney, and Mobolade Ajomale)
- Catharine Pendrel (Women’s Cross Country)
Of the 22 medals won, 16 were won by women and 6 by men. Penny Oleksiak, at the age of 16, won the most medals for Canada with 4 total medals (1 Gold, 1 Silver, and 2 Bronze.) Andre De Grasse was the most decorated Canadian man at the games, collecting 3 total medals (1 Silver and 2 Bronze), while Meaghan Benfeito (diving) and Taylor Ruck (swimming) both collected 2 Bronze medals for Canada.
Over the 15 days of the games, Canada would collect at least one medal per day on all but 2 of those days.
Congratulations to all our athletes, especially those who are coming home with medals. You have done your country proud.