Mr. Vickers was born October 29th, 1926 in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. He was the sixth of eight children.
Mr. Vickers sang in a number of leading opera houses, including the Royal Opera, The Metropolitan Opera, San Francisco Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago, and La Scala. He also sang with at the Salzburg and Bayreuth Festivals.
He was known for his extremely moving portrayals. He was a consistent professional.
Mr. Vickers was married twice, and leaves behind five children, 11 grandchildren, and two great grandchildren.
Here are a couple video clips:
1) Winterstürme from Die Walküre:
2) La fleur que tu m’avais jetée from Carmen:
3) Dio mi potevi scagliar from Otello:
4) In des Lebens Frühlingstagen from Fidelio:
5) Nur eine Waffe taugt from Parsifal:
6) Gia i sacerdoti from Aida:
7) ‘Vesti la giubba‘ from Pagliacci:
Mr. Vickers may be gone, but he will never be forgotten.